Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lone Wolf and Cub





This poster-sized image was yet another attempt on my part to achieve simplistic design via a road strewn with ridiculous obstacles. There are four images here, one being orinigal and textual. The image of Itto Ogami and Daigoro and the background "wolf and cub atop mountain of corpses" image are both photographs I took of comic books (manga) that I own.


The most difficult part of this collage assignment was removing the context of each of the images. I can't even recall right now what exactly I did...I know I used the eraser tool (down to 1 px), the mask tool, and the magic wand tool, all of them. I also changed the levels of the Itto Ogami image in an effort to make he Daigoro appear in front of the background. The background levels have not changed, but there is a bottom-up gradient overlay that really helps to foreground the...foreground image (sigh). The art is done by Frank Miller, whose name appears in the top right, opposite the bottom-left kanji representing "Lone Wolf and Cub". Upon review, I should have brightened that up a bit to offset the wolf; as it stands, the image is top-heavy. I printed this thing out, hoping to hang it, but procrastinated and the poster has since been ruined by my cat. Good stuff.

No comments: